Monday, July 20, 2009

Alphabetical Movie Marathon - A2

Amelie - Such a sweet and heartwarming movie. Just can't get over it. Such longing and sadness and I love how she turns her own sadness into helping others find happiness. The color saturation is so beautiful. Audrey Tautou, can't believe she's not in more American movies. Her and Marion Cotillard. I'm sure they're doing wonderful work in France but they certainly add a sophistication to movies that we could use nowadays. The French always add a little something.

American Beauty - A little scary but I love movies about people who come into their own and wake up from the slumber of their lives. Guess I should get on with that, huh? This one doesn't end well, but at least he had his realizations before the unfortunate ending. (See how I'm not giving it away? I try.) I also love watching what happens when one person in a family decides that things are going to change and how those with a vested interest in the status quo resist but eventually are encouraged to make their own changes. I hope to someday quit a job like that. The humiliation of having to tell management what you do, how you contribute and why you should keep your job is just so universal. I shall quote:
"My job consists of basically masking my contempt for the assholes in charge, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life which doesn't so closely resemble hell."

No comments:

Post a Comment