Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Alphabetical Movie Marathon - D2

Dirty Dancing - Ah, the world has lost a great man in Patrick Swayze. It really is sad. I was watching both this film and Too Wong Foo and just sad that we won't see any really daring hotness anymore. A muscle-bound, man's man not afraid to dance and wear a dress. Now that's a man. This film (and Pretty Woman, which we'll get to later) are kind of "family movies." My mother, sister and I can quote freely from these movies and instantly have a reference. This film reminds me in spirit of American Beauty in the sense that she is living her life the way she is supposed to and is awakened by circumstance to the possibilities. I think everyone wishes that had happened to them at 18. I could watch the scene where he's teaching her to dance and they pass the camera past the rippling muscles on his back. Very yummy. The world is less sexy without him.

Don Juan DeMarco - This is a funny little movie. Of course, Johnny Depp is amazing but the plot is so sweet and gentle that it's hard not to love this. Faye Dunaway, though older than most leading actresses now, has got to still be one of the most beautiful women in the world.

Deadwood - A little out of order because I forgot about this one. I had watched this entire series right before starting the marathon and didn't want to start it again but I can't finish the Ds without it. This is simply a great movie-quality show. Which is unfortunately why they're not making it anymore and never got the chance to finish the story in a satisfying way but it's still amazing to watch. I love what this show can teach us about the roll of women in previous centuries. It's hard to talk specifics because the plot is so intensely packed per episode and there are so many episodes so I'll leave it at "Watch it. It'll be good for you. You'll swear more."

Dreamgirls - I saw this film the first time in the theater and wasn't all that impressed with the opening number. However, Eddie Murphie teaching the girls to be his back up singers seamlessly sliding into him performing onstage with them in front of a cheering crowd made me thing "Oh, this is gonna be good." And I wasn't disappointed. I had the same reaction to this film ending as I did to Moulin Rouge - "Can we watch it again?"

No comments:

Post a Comment