Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Alphabetical Movie Marathon - 1 Forgotten E & F2

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Wrapping your brain around the plot of this movie is really difficult and that's one of the reasons I love it. It's challenging and completely illogical and totally original. And who wouldn't want to wipe out the memories of a relationship that ended badly? It's a very common movie theme that you don't know what you got until it's gone but rarely is it done with such emotional rawness and pain. It's a love story but it's messy and messed up and fraught with fear. Just like life.

Frida - I love bio-pics about artists. Especially ones in which you see the actor actually paint. So far this and Pollock are the only ones I've come across. Being able to see what inspires the artist to come up with all that crazy shit is really fascinating to me. You literally see Frida's soul spew out onto the canvases. And Julie Taymore's direction, the colors, the animation dream sequences - it's all captivating. It also includes the best wedding speech ever. I'll include it here in the hopes that I'll be able to repeat it at an actual wedding someday.

"I don't believe in marriage, really I don't. At it's worst it's a hostile political act, a way for small minded men to keep women in the house and out of the way, wrapped up in the guise of tradition and conservative religious nonsense. At best, it's a happy delusion - these two people who truly love each other and have no idea how truly miserable they're about to make each other. But, but, when two people know that, and they decide with eyes wide open to face each other and get married anyway, then I don't think it's conservative or delusional. I think it's radical and couragous and very romantic."

No comments:

Post a Comment