Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Alphabetical Movie Marathon - E

Yes, it's been a while so I figured I had better catch up on my viewing activities before I jump into the Christmas Movie Marathon next week.

Elizabeth - Cate Blanchett was robbed of that Oscar. She should have received it for this film. This is a knock-down, drag-out performance. She carries this movie and doesn't even look like she's working at it. The costumes are amazing and the transformation of her appearance and bearing from young niave princess to formidable and historically integral ruler is really amazing to watch. Very powerful woman indeed, actress and subject.

Extras - I have friends who don't much like Ricky Gervais, but I think he's hilarious. Of course, a good bit of English humor always got me giggling. And Extras is full of not just humor but rolling on the floor laughing and peeing your pants funny shit. Maggie is really my favorite. She's got that Bridget Jones way of being stupidly sweet. This is a great series to watch because it's quick and dirty - six 30 minute episodes per season and a totally awesome and surprisingly heartfelt final episode that sends up reality TV.

Enchanted - Ah, Disney. I didn't have high hopes. But so cool, this movie. I've always loved stories that start in animation and transition into live-action. I remember a Raggedy-ann and Andy film from years ago that was the opposite. And they did figure out how to do away with the simpering princess waiting for the prince to come and save her. She saves him in the end. I'm willing to forgive the tragic under utilization of Susan Sarandon and why in god's name they would cast Edina Menzel and not have her sing in a musical is beyond me. I enjoy the movie's modern touches anyway. The rats, pidgeons and cockroaches cleaning the apartment is super clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment