Sunday, August 9, 2009

Alphabetical Movie Marathon - B3

Breakfast Club - So, I'm going to go a little bit out of order here in honor of the recently late but perpetually great John Hughes. What can I say about how great his films are? They really define the defining time of my life, the hideous and involuntary horror that is highschool. How, as an adult, he managed to so honestly and accurately depict the 80's highschool angst is beyond me. I was (and still am a little) a cross between Brian and Allison, the geek and the basketcase. Because I was smart but didn't have parents who cared enough to push me I was at the top of the regular classes but not in the advanced college-prep classes where I could get some individualized attention and an actual education. And because I behaved myself and didn't cause any one any problems I was basically ignored by teachers. Except by the one homeroom teacher who teased me because I read too much during announcements and the kids who teased me because my hair wasn't right, my clothes weren't right, so much of me wasn't right I can't even remember it all. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I can watch this film again and imagine that I had an experience like this where I connected with the people in my class and they really understood me and I them. Never happened, of course, but it could have. It could have happened like this. Someone could have come along and changed things for a little while. And that makes me feel better about the shitty experience I call my childhood. Awesome music that defines the genre and an era.

No comments:

Post a Comment